Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Le Wild and Le Modern


Here's project three from the Zakka-long, pincushions!  I'm loud because I'm happy to finally have not one, but 2 of them, made by mig (me!) This week, Ayumi from Pink Penguin is up, showing us her take on the latest from Rashida's book Zakka Style.  


I deviated a little from the original pattern by Sonia Cantié.  I used large prints for the cotton side, and I chose a hedgehog print for the linen side, on the fronts.  I don't have rubber stamps, or ink, or erasers to make my own, or any particular image I wanted to add to the design, so I made my own stamps using bits of selvage from some of my favorite fabrics.  I even even fussy cut the words "wild" and "modern" from them.


I don't think "modern" shows up that well, but I know it's there.



I didn't want to make the design busier, so I stuck with sheer ribbon for one of the pincushions, and the color test part of a selvage for the other.  I also added some dried lavender so they smell divine.  
Do you think they're too cluttered?  Which one is your favorite?  

What I love best is that no hedgehogs were harmed in making these!  I don't want to poke pins into any animals, real or fabric.  Let's just say, I borrow and return their quills.  It's a cooperation!



7 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your pincushions!!! The details are amazing.....the way the button matches the hedgehog's spikes....wow!
    http://simplymissluella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute...love the matching button on the front. Those hedgehogs are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them both, but my favorite (you asked!) is the bottom one, with the delightful swirl in the fabric. Hedgehogs -- how droll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pincushions are so cute! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF :)

    thepeonyteacup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are adorable. Love your sense of humour in borrowing their quills. Very clever! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!