Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sol Regn - Sun Rain, the Second Zakka Cloud

That's the weather today, and that's what I was aiming for with my second Zakka Style Rain cloud.  It's based on, but not bound to, an original design by Christie Fowler of www.pigeon-pair.com, featured in the book Zakka Style, compiled by Rashida Coleman-Hale.

We've had a cold spring, so I wasn't feeling that cozy about a little rain cloud.  I wanted to show that deep color that happens at the end of the storm when the sun starts to come out while it's raining. What do you think?  Did I make it?



I used the same cloudy print for the binding as the first one, but I used orange batik for the second cloud.  Same Sulky variegated thread, but more of my style with the wind and rain.  I also used the front side of my re-purposed linen bag, inside out.  There is text, and sheaves of wheat, but they were too bold to show as the front of the mug rug, so I flipped the fabric over.  I really like the extra dimension the white print gives to the sky.  I made the cloud larger, and the binding a little wider too.

If you think you see a face, well, that's what happens when you look at clouds, eh?



I also sewed a little silver lining into the cloud.......


Here they are, both first and second, crisp, and a little moody:




 I can't bear to use either of them as mug rugs, so I think I might frame them and hang them in the front hall or by the back porch.

 If you want to join in the Zakka Style Sew Along, go on over to LR Stitched and link up with Lindsey and the Zakka Style Flickr group!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not normally a fan of Batik but the binding is really effective here - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job. I love that your blog is in English so I can read it. I live in the United States in the state of Washington. I have been quilting for about 9 years. I used to blog but now I just do facebook and pinterest. Enjoying your blog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just been browsing your blog and really enjoy it! Your mom left a comment on mine and I asked her if she blogs and she sent me your info! Keep quilting! And blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!