Wednesday, September 26, 2012

New York Beauty

I just want to share a couple of New York Beauty projects I made.  Had to wait a little, as I sent one away for the Doll Quilters Monthly swap-- but it arrived, and now I can show and tell!



This first one is Block Zero, the learning block.  I used the tutorial over at My Go-Go Life to learn how to do this one.  Let me tell you, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and I think that has a lot to do with all the great photos Kim put up with her tutorial.  Plus, it's an easier block!  I was going for Sunny and Warm, as a theme for one of the doll quilt swaps, but I really thought this one came out Sunny and Wan!  Don't get me wrong, I adore it, and it was Fun to make it, but it just has a cool, end of summer Swedish look to it, the colors are just not warm enough.  I felt funny sending it to my swap partner, who lives in a really warm place.  So it's hanging out here in Sweden, where it thrives and belongs!

I used a bunch of batik from my stash, as well as some fantastic turquoise for the binding.

I'm sure where I live affects my color choices-- how about you?

***

The next mini quilt is the one I sent away to Sher, for the patriotic theme.  I do sew other things besides the doll quilts, but it has been a slow summer!



 

I am not sure if it looks better sideways or upright, but I am pleased with it!  It was tough, and I had to stretch to learn how to do it, but I can absolutely imagine making a full sized quilt with these!  I love the puzzle aspect of the paper piecing, and I love the bold impact of the finished product.

The blocks here are Block 2, with a tutorial by Amy from Amylouwho, and Block 7, with a tute from Jeni of In Color Order.


I don't know if the quilting is puffy of design, or if it has to do with not having a walking foot, but I think I like it for this project.  I think larger would cause problems.  Any thoughts from you seasoned quilters out there?




5 comments:

  1. Those little quilts are awesome. I love New York Beauties but haven't done too many. They are on my wish list to get done. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYB blocks are some of my favorite. They always loirok so difficult. I love the colors in your first block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, love love the first block! I actually like the colors, but they are more subtly "warm" than some more obvious choices. Maybe that is why I love it so much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're incredible! These look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy MOLY these are gorgeous! I just posted a picture of a huge and fancy NYB quilt, saying that someday I'll try one. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!