Saturday, December 8, 2012

Swedish Winter


Today is No Sew Saturday for me (but tonight might be another matter ;) so I have some pictures to show you of where I live and what inspires me!  By far, my favorite time of year in Sweden is winter.  I love having a real winter, with beautiful natural light, even though there isn't that much of it.  The winter days where I live in middle Sweden (Jämtland area) are pretty short, with sunrise on the first of December at 9:25 am, and sunset at 2:33 pm.  According to the "Sun-hours" site, we're losing about 25 minutes! of daylight every week, until the winter solstice on December 21'st, when the number will go up again. So it pays to look for the good side, when there is actually Sun-light instead of just Day-light!

Here are today's pictures:


See the little wavy lines?  Made by our 2 dogs!




It's chilly when you get into the shade at the end of the field there, but there's no wind to speak of when you get into the forest.  Plenty of bird tweets to hear, and some moose prints too.


These pics were snapped around one pm.



I took a couple pictures of our favorite snow shovels too.  Which one would you choose to use?  I'm not sure if you can see how large that scoop with the big handle is, but it's for walking behind and pushing the snow.  Perfect for fluffy snow and driveways.









The smaller one has an ergonomic handle and it is perfect for heavier snow (for me) because it pushes it away great, but it doesn't accumulate too much at one time, so that makes it easier to either lift or just shuttle the pile away from you.



I just took the today's last pictures, around three o'clock, to show my inspiration for the Sportlov Sussi/Sweet Skating Sue mini I made.  Here's just a taste of how it looks later in the winter in Jämtland, Sweden.  See the nice steely grey, and that thistle sky next to it?  Even deeper a little later in the winter.

This is what I see from my sewing room!



We don't have an awful lot of snow yet, but it sure is pretty in this light!  Hope everyone is having a super Saturday!  Now I am going to go off to sew!






7 comments:

  1. Mark and I loved the photos! Thanks for taking the time to share them with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope the new look works too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Your sunlight hours are similar to ours - according to the records in Whitehorse 9:56 and 3:49, but where I am there are mountains all around so it is less. In fact the sun just shone in my window right now and it is noon. Thanks for sharing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that it's gorgeous, but there is no way I could manage on that amount of sunlight!! What is the temperature there? Husband (mr cold weather himself) wants to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous spot you live in!! While we are gearing up for a hot summer you are appreciating such a gorgeous winter! Why is the grass always greener! Right now I am thinking I'd LOVE to be there!! x

    :) Hazel
    www.hazellovesdesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you through Between Quilts. Your photos are stunning! I studied in Jönköping for a couple of semesters in college back in the early '90s and have only been back to Sweden twice since. I miss it and have dreams of living there, even if only for a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, those trees are gorgeous. How lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!