Friday, June 14, 2013

Fabric Petting


Distilled


Sounds kind of creepy, doesn't it?  I think it does.  I think it sounds like preening, or counting what you have just for the sake of counting it (she who has the most toys wins kind of thing.)
I think it's just supposed to mean fabric playing, and that's what I did yesterday!

Rainy day antidote 

We had rain and more rain (Surprise!) and it was an indoors kind of day.  We even had a fire in the fireplace to take off the chill.
I've been working on the next project for Zakka Along 2.0, which is spiffied up kitchen towels.

Rain, rain, go away 

I did spend a bunch of time figuring out my layout, and fixing the letters, and working with colors and prints, but what I did first was just play with different fabrics.  Of course, there was a plan and a task, to figure out what would work for the towels, but that doesn't mean I went directly to it.  I'm usually thinking about several projects at once, even when I get down to working on one (or two) at that particular moment.

Evolution of a palette

Part of the creative process for me is taking out what I have, and laying it on the table.  I might mix ten fabrics together, or twenty.  By color, by size of the pattern, by theme. Even based on how much I like or don't like the fabric.


Evolution 2
 I'm looking for a certain balance of all those factors that makes the design work, and look a little different.  I think it's very much like painting a picture, and I can easily imagine painting pictures based on these fabric arrangements.  But that might take longer than simply deciding a fabric palette.


More fabric playPlay























Sometimes adding or taking away the smallest detail makes a big impact. 


























 For me, taking the time to play with fabrics before I jump into a project is just as important as the actual sewing that takes place later.  Even if I don't sew that day, I have fresh eyes for what I'm working with, and that makes the next time that much more fruitful!  There's always something going on in the background that makes it come together in unexpected, but somehow planned for ways.

How about you?  Do you make fabric arrangements too?  Do you use them?  

Happy Friday!
Lizzie in Sweden

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, Lizzie, I LOVE your prints! That Recess flower print and the pale yellow text print are on my "must buy someday" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you pulled some great fabric i love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOH! Lots of yummy (summer) fabrics you have pulled out! I don't always make fabric arrangement, depends on what I'm going to make... Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!