Monday, October 28, 2013

A Little Bag

Knitting bag to the rescue!
See, the lobelias were still blue! The very next day, they got frosted. But the bag is still good. I used Ayumi's Lunch Bag Tutorial from Pink Penguin. I've seen different versions of these around for awhile, and I've bookmarked the page twice!  I finally tried it out!

I had my fabric in mind for a while:  Some woven brown and pink gingham, some pink zebra fabric by Alexander Henry, and some printed linens by Melody Miller.  How the colors sing together!  With the fabulous directions, this practically sewed itself.

 
Top up!
But it was challenging enough to be fun too.  There's a casing for the drawstring, the separate parts of of the bag, and directions on how to cover your seams if you want.  I tried them and I think it went all right.  Next time I'll use an even bigger seam allowance though, as I decided halfway through that I wanted to cover them.

Here is the other side of the bag, with the top part pulled up! It is some special linen called Japanese Kei fabric, that has a very soft drape.  I thought it would be great for a part that might be used often.  Plus, I thought it was really sweet that it had a bit of pink on the linen, that echoes the gingham colors.  
This part of the bag is sewn in at the top.  Ayumi gave directions on just where to sew it in so that the seams would be covered. It worked like a charm!   This part is for protecting your lunch, but it is also super for keeping your knitting safe, not to mention quilting!


Surprise happy lining! Here's the surprise happy lining! I love these zebras peeking out here! If this were a lunch bag, the lining would be vinyl or pvc. I already scoped out some neat stuff if I ever want to make this for carrying food ;) 


And then I'd get to come up with a whole new color scheme!

I liked how straight forward this bag was to make, and I felt like Ayumi was right there saying, "go ahead, you can do this!"  I also thought it was pretty fun to make a drawstring with craft cord.  I am not sure if that is what I found, but I used something that is cotton covered in a light layer of wax.  Beautiful color, and very sturdy.  It also was easy to find in town at the hobby store.

What I found for craft cord: waxed cotton
All in all, this was a fun project that I'll definitely make again.

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. great bag , i have been like you looking at patterns here and there thinking about making one some time. You did a great job Liz, congrats

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!