Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Butterfly Spools - Blogger's Quilt Festival, ROYGBIV Entry


Here's my second entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side!
It's a Butterfly Spool Mini, made using a tutorial from Rita at Ped Pepper Quilts.  I saw her post almost a year ago!  (My comment is still there ;) And I bookmarked it twice.
 I finally made a smaller version of it and finished it earlier this month!

Butterfly Spools with Grey  

The pictures can tell.... I had a blast getting all the different colors and prints to balance out. I tried several layouts, including arranging by color, to show a glimpse of spools lined up in a case. I settled finally on my first layout attempt.

#butterflyspools , Getting there!

 Progress, cutting and sewing! ... More. My favorite transport system! 

This little quilt was made using Rita's very specially written tutorial for making butterfly spool blocks, as based on Japanese phenomenon, Kumiko Fujita's Butterfly Spool pattern
Rita used a 60 degree triangle ruler, but I just used my Hex N More Ruler, as it also 
has a 60 degree angle.


I used prints from Heather Ross's Briar Rose line, as well as some Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt, and a bunch of the Picnic Pals prints by Penguins and Fish.  I think they work really nicely together.  I used a slate grey instead of black for the backgrounds, to make it a little richer, and I finished the quilt with some Lucky Penny by Alison glass for the binding.  I think it turned out to be a sweet little take on the rainbow, and that's why I'm entering it in the ROYGBIV category for the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  

 Butterfly Spools Mini, in progress

Go on over and check out all the entries, it's lots of fun!

Go here to see the fabulous ROYGBIV quilts!




Happy Sewing!
Lizzie in Sweden
 

11 comments:

  1. I always think this block is so cute - you've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'm slowly making a butterfly spool quilt too, using flower sugar by Lecien. Your take is great, love the slate grey background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The color combination is great! You have done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful !! I love the binding you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and happy quilt!
    I love that pattern and once made a pillow using it. I always thought to make a whole quilt with it. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and colorful! I love your background choice and the texty butterfly bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt, Lizzie! It has a very satisfying feel to it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!