Monday, November 11, 2013

An Artist Trading Card


Very Berry Handmade ATC Swap

I heard about Artist Trading Cards in the late 90's, but I never tried making one.  At that time, I was more into collage and painting, and raising toddlers! than quilting, but I just never got around to trying one.

Last spring, Ali from Very Berry Fabrics blog introduced a swap for quilted ATC's.  I missed it last time, but I sure enjoyed seeing what everybody else made.  When Ali hosted a new one this September, I signed right up!  I've been taking pictures and sketching for awhile to come up with something that would work.
Our theme this time was simply: Autumn.
The cards should be 2.5 x 3.5 inches.

Viking Mushroom, the cute one in story books and kids fabrics. Eating by Vikings for its hallucinogenic properties.....

Barley field, and Storsjön (Great Lake) beyond

How difficult it is to draw something so tiny, and break a scene down into small parts!

Just one of the possibilities

Not all my ideas worked yet, but I was able to happily settle on a scene from one of my Sundays: pressing leaves in my cookbook:

Leaves and flowers

My finished card is simplified from the inspiration photo I took.   That is either one Huge blueberry leaf, or a very tiny cookbook!  Still, I think it says autumn, both in color and style.  I love to go around and take pictures when the colors change, and I end up piling up bits of fabric and leaves and flowers even more than usual, making arrangements to ponder and enjoy. 
That's what this card is about.

ATC Fall 2013 

I used some vintage Kimono fabric from Japan, some wonderful Oakshott shot cotton, one of my favorite text prints, and a bit of linen and ribbon.  Now that I finally got the hang of making something so tiny, I can't wait to try again!   The green is could have been moss in another design I started, but here it stands for the barley that grew outside the back door all summer, that was harvested in the fall.  Now everything is already covered in snow!
These are great for trying out new techniques, which for me would be embroidery, design, and working really tiny.  

Check out Ali's Flickr group if you'd like to see more....

Happy sewing from Lizzie in Sweden, and thanks to all those who serve, and those who do and those that don't make it back, and the families that try to hold them tight, on this Veteran's Day.
You have my love and gratitude forever.
 

3 comments:

  1. Lizzie these are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I make postcards, but not this tiny. And CERTAINLY not this detailed! Absolutely stunning! --Amy with butterflyangelsquilting.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes inspirations come from unexpected things and places. Love your idea for ATC and the way you used all the fabrics and details to make such a tiny book with a bookmark. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!