Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Finally a Finish
Not perfect, but very finished, and very crinkly and nice!
Here is the Zakka quilt that has sat on the shelf forever....When I started quilting it, it just was a bear. Balky and puckering, tucking. Turns out the problem was not only my inexperience, but the fact that my machine was crooked where the needle sits. So I literally couldn't sew a straight line! It didn't really show on smaller quilts, but it sure showed up for this one.
I had the classic troubles, to narrow seams, and a stitch that was really small in some places and normal sized in others. The machine is fixed, and I decided to just quilt this As-is, and see what happened.
Well, the sky didn't fall, and the quilt didn't fall apart too much either. There are the puckers, but they washed into a really nice texture when I was all done, so they don't bother me a bit! As for those too narrow seams, they don't mix well with linen. So I had some that came loose. I just zigzagged the stuffing out of them, around each seam where it happened. Since the quilt is linen and the squares are fairly large, I think it fits in for the homey feeling. And now I can work on future quilts instead of being weighed down by this one on the shelf!