Thursday, July 3, 2014

I had to chuckle...

... when I opened up my luggage back in February, after going home for my grandmother's funeral.  
Among the pictures and sewing notions and her measuring tape that I brought back, were a few kitchen towels she had used for many years.  I brought back a pair I had sent her, bought at IKEA.  


Those are on the top of this pile.  Hers is the one with the pretty red rick-rack sewn on.  She really like to embellish fabric in a simple way.  I'd say she had Zakka style.  

I also brought back a new kitchen towel, from my sister in Brooklyn.


The first thing I did, before I even unpacked my bags, was to look for something to use for sewing on a loop.  I found some twill tape right away.





All better!  Then, I went to hang up the towels I had brought back from my grandmother's kitchen and look what I found:


Grandmother had Taken Away the hanging loops!  Possibly the first thing she did after thanking me.....

I just had to chuckle!


I have been slowly mixing in some of her sewing things with mine.

Her pincushion, which still has some threaded needles of hers, mixed with my flower head pins:  



And her trims themselves....

I sewed a batch of large rick rack onto a tablecloth last night to make a simple curtain for our dining area.  I like to think she'd be happy I'm using what I brought back, rather than letting it sit.  She really knew how to make simple fixes with embellishments too.





I have most of the towels packed away though.  They still smell like her kitchen always did, and that's a comfort to me.

Hugs from Sweden!




7 comments:

  1. That was the sweetest story ever...you made my day! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that is so sweet. Funny we did the same thing with my husband's grannie's tea towels. It's a lovely reminder of them isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely keepsakes of your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am really sorry about your Grandma passing away. Lovely things you brought back to remind you of her. The smell... I thought I was the only one to smell things that belonged to my Mum and my Grandma. I keep a few items in bags and smell them from time to time to get that tiny bit of comfort and a flood of sweet memories. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so there with you, Lizzie. I've been dealing with a million moments like this over the past few months since my grandmother died. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like incorporating both my grandmothers sewing things in to things I do. I'm glad you got to keep some of the towels :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This us such a lovely post with beautiful sewing things and most of all beautiful memories of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!